Dairy Internship Information 06/07/16 8:36:32 PM|
|The Missouri Agricultural, Small Business and Development Authority (MASBDA) of the Missouri Department of Agriculture (MDA), has an exciting opportunity available for outstanding candidates. We are looking for Dairy Interns.|
You will work extensively with Missouri dairy farmers and/or dairy industry professionals ensuring they are provided the highest level of dairy industry experience possible. The program is planned to be fully operational this fall but the internships may be secured now.
Scope of Work:
Basic Qualifications: (required)
- Gain knowledge of general dairy farming skills such as animal care, feeding, milking, nutrient management, forage management, and other duties as assigned.
- Experience all agronomy and seed operations (if applicable to the dairy).
- Conduct milk barn cleaning processes and perform record keeping as needed.
- Assist with repairs and preventative maintenance for all dairy barn equipment including milkers, pipeline, bulk tank, free stalls, etc.
- Attend dairy producer educational meetings and trade shows, when available, and as your work schedule allows.
- Participate in dairy producer meetings with company representative(s), veterinarian, or service provider as your work schedule allows.
- Provide excellent overall support as needed.
Preferred Qualifications: (desired)
- Currently enrolled or planning to enroll this fall in Agriculture related degree program at a two- or four-year college or university in Missouri.
- Related program areas include, but may not be limited to, the following program areas:
- Agricultural Business/Economics
- Agricultural Education
- Agricultural Equipment/Power/Machinery
- Agricultural Communications/Journalism
- Agricultural Production
- Animal Health
- Farm Management
- Food Science Nutrition
- Horticulture/Plant Science
- Landscape/Nursery/Turf Management
- Up to 80 scholarships of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) each are available.
- The dairy farm internship can be served on the recipient’s home dairy farm.
- Internship requires working three months, or a total of 400 hours, on a dairy farm or, with a dairy cooperative, dairy manufacturing plant, dairy equipment or feed or input provider, an agribusiness, commodity organization, or allied dairy service provider.
- Certification of time worked on the internship is required with accurate time sheets for hours worked.
- The dairy-related internship may be a paid or unpaid work experience.
- Signs an agreement with the Missouri Department of Agriculture, at the time of receiving their scholarship, in which the scholarship recipient agrees to work in the agricultural industry in Missouri for at least two years for every one year the recipient receives the Missouri Dairy Scholars Scholarship.
- After the internship is completed, submit the completed Missouri Dairy Scholars Scholarship Program Dairy-Related Work Experience/Internship Placement Certification Form (attached) to MASBDA, signed and dated by the student and employer.
- The program is planned to be fully operational this fall but the internships may be secured now.
Questions may be directed to:
- Dairy and/or Agriculture experience or background
MASBDA DAIRY SCHOLARS PROGRAM
JEFFERSON CITY, MO 65102-0630
TELEPHONE: (573) 751-2129
PO BOX 630
FAX: (573) 522-2416